Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

[Suzy Q Doughnuts] Dangerously Delicious and Unconventional Doughnuts (Donuts), maybe better stay away!

Yes, now I can finally say that I had this "fameux" doughnuts on a cold summer Sunday! When everybody, especially after it was on CBC in 2012, Suzy Q's doughnuts became so hot, or rather even hotter! But, you know, "Bacon maple" doughnut wasn't appealing enough for me to go there to buy (relatively) expensive doughnuts. It is $2 each, or $10 for half-dozen, and $20 for a dozen. It's expensive for a fried bread, isn't it?  And also, I was not sure how I would like "sweet and salty" taste together on the context of a doughnut, even though I liked "sweet & salty" granola bars. Then, a few weeks ago, Mr. D had a chance to eat that famous doughnut at work, and said it was "oddly" very very good. That's when I got suddenly so curious about this unconventional doughnut place. So, on a sunny, but chilly Sunday morning, we drove to Westboro to buy some "so-called" exceptional doughnuts. 


I heard it's really busy and you have to line up for at least quarter an hour to order your doughnuts, but luckily for us, it was not bad at all. It's surprisingly small, and looked like a snack bar around the corner. 


The showcase was not so big, but with full of doughnuts of all kinds I've never heard of:  Maple Bacon, Wundercrunch (Chocolate and peanut crunch)
                              Go-Nut (Chocolate and Espresso),  Salted Caramel, Raspberry Cassis, Cookies ‘n’ Cream, Dirty Chocolate, etc... They all looked delicious and warm. It was really hard to choose. 

But, maple-bacon must be there best sellers since the tray was being refilled constantly.
I put some extra effort to pick a dozen doughnuts. 


As we couldn't have anything with nuts because of  Pablo who is allergic to nuts, I picked a half-dozen maple-bacon, three cookies 'n' cream, and three Dirty chocolates. Go-Nut was very tempting, but next time. I heard that they sell only 50 dozens and call it a day. 600 doughnuts~ Wow. It wouldn't look too much for a Tim Horton's, but it sounded a lot for a small family business between Suzy(Sue Hamer), husband, and brother-in-law. 


It's a very small shop and there wasn't any eating area in the shop. I didn't want to eat at a picnic table on the parking lot. So!, we drove for 3 minutes and went to the small food court next to Tim Horton's at the lobby of Civic hospital. 

We bought a large double-double for Mr. D, two hot cholocates for kids, and extra-large steep tea for me.

(This mister refused to eat SuzyQ's and picked a glazed cinnamon roll at Timmy's.)


And~~~~
I had my first bite of maple bacon doughnut~!
and
..........
..........
...........
..........
..........
.....................
..........
.....................
..........
...........
OMG, this doughnut is PHENOMENAL!!!


Delicious and warm with a perfect balance between salt & sugar(maple syrup)
It's so spongy and soft. Gosh~  How can doughnut be this good??? (This is bad news. I have to stay away from it, otherwise, I'll never be able to lose weight!) I had decided to have only one doughnut. But, guess what, I just couldn't stop at one. I had a dirty chocolate, too. It was chocolaty with a sense of salt. Again, it was very very good. But, definitely their flagship is Maple-Bacon. I must admit that I loved SuzyQ's maple-bacon doughnut. That being said, doughnuts are not the exactly healthiest food in the world. Sigh... But, well, we all need an occasional treat for ourselves, especially after a hard working week, don't we? :)

When you need a fabulous, fresh and caloric treat, I strongly recommend SuzyQ. You will not be disappointed!


SuzyQ
(613) 724-2451
991 Wellington Street West, Ottawa, ON K1Y2Y1


Maple-Bacon Doughnut

4 comments:

  1. OMG, what a combination! I guess the saltiness accentuates the sweet flavor of maple syrup.For me the Go-nut is also tempting (another interesting combination, even though it's more conventional haha), so let me know when you try it next time!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's pretty offbeat, isn't it? But, I guarantee anybody will love it. I heard their salty caramel doughnut is delicious, too. That is the one I'll have next time. (Go-nut as well)
      Have a nice evening!

      Delete
  2. Funny combination and I wonder who came up with it the first time. I'm all in for honey glazed hams or maple bacon itself but maple bacon on a sweet donut?? I doubt i'll like it but reading your post makes me curious. Who knows maybe I'll like it as I love salty caramel and the whole salt'n sweet combination.
    I'm also a firm believer of the guilty pleasures after a long week but i'm trying not to eat any flour for a month... I don't know how I'll survive 추석 next week. :-o

    Have a nice weekend :)

    -julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a "atypical" doughnut for sure. It's oddly good. You can't taste saltiness that much. When you visit Ottawa some time, don't forget to try this doughnut~ I wish you all the best. Happy holidays!! :)

      Delete