Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2013

[Homemade Rice Crisp Squares] or Rice Krispie Squares - A classic snack or sweet treat

My dad's favorite cereal is Rice Krispie Cereal since forever. Or I should rather say that it is the only kind of cereal my dad eats. So, we've always had this one-of-Kellogg's-signature-cereals at home. (I just checked the Wikipedia. Rice Krispie cereal was first made in 1927, 12 years before the rice Krispie squares were invented.) When I could choose a box of cereal, with my own free will, I found that I liked all-bran-type cereal more than any other kind. 


Nonetheless, I buy a family size box of Rice Krispie, partly because of nostalgia toward my childhood, and also because of my boys' request. Remi and Pablo have never been crazy about this rice cereals. They would eat, if forced (by me). 



They want me to buy Rice Krispies only to make Rice Krispie Squares. Kellogg's ready-made square bars are available everywhere, but I prefer to use up my own cereal to make lots rice crisp squares at a time. You could imagine how my boys get crazy when they find rice crisp bars in their lunch box. 


I shape this rice crisp into canes around Christmas time. Ready-made rice crisp must be so handy, but it seems more expensive than home made crisp rice bars. You can make 24 rice crisp bars at a time. The unit cost must be no more than $0.50. It's actually so simple and easy to make these treats. My recipe is from the inside of the "Rice Krispie Cereal' box. 


Here goes the recipe for the Original Rice Krispie Square!
(from their cereal box)


Ingredients
4 tablespoons (= 1/4 cup) butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 package (10 oz. or 250g or 40) regular marshmallows or miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal

Directions:


1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. 


Remove from heat, and add vanilla extract.


2. Add Rice Krispie cereal. Stir until well coated.


3. Grease the 13 X 9 inches pan.


4. Using buttered spatula or gloved hands, evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 inch pan coated with cooking spray. 


And let it cool.


Turn the pan over to take out the cooled 



4. Cut into 2-inch squares. 


Best if served the same day. But it can stay good over 2-3 days.


It's really nice comfort treat (or special snack)

Enjoy!

Rice Crisp Squares

2 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen,

    I had no idea that Rice Krispie Squares were invented such a long time ago. It wasn't until my highschool that I first had this marshmellow covered snack, which was a huge hit in our school cafeteria it would quickly be sold out everyday. The cafeteria was so far from my class, my friends and I would gather around whoever went to the cafeteria to ask for small bites of the snack. Fun memories. XD

    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,
      I was also surprised to learn that rice "Krispie" squares were first made that long time ago. It became quite a classic, didn't it?
      Well, the recipe is actually from the cereal box :) It's really easy to make. It doesn't take or cost much to make~ You will like it :)

      Delete