Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

[Easy Tomato Sauce] Homemade Versatile Sauce for High Utilization

There are a few reasons I make my own tomato sauce. I had bought jarred tomato sauce before, and decided to make my own sauce forever. I can tell two of the many reasons I've made my own sauce:

First, Jarred tomato sauce is too salty for my taste. 

Personally, I try to use sodium moderately or as little as possible, for my cooking. I like my tomato sauce slightly bland so that I can add other ingredients and seasoning freely later when I add tomato sauce to other dishes. I've made this tomato sauce for more than 10 years, and at least twice a month. Once you have this sauce ready in the fridge, you can prepare some hearty meal in 15-20 minutes. 

Second, It's too expensive. :(  I use tomato sauce for lots of different dishes, e.g. lasagna, beef pot pie, pasta, etc.
A 700ml(24 oz) jar of tomato sauce is over $4, and I need more than a jar a week. You might say it's not so bad, but it costs less than half to make your own healthier sauce. 

Such as beef pot pie


I can easily say that I've made this sauce more than 200 times. I can assure  you that it's really really easy to make your own tomato sauce. 

Here goes the easiest tomato sauce recipe:

Ingredients
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
2 cans unsalted diced (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup fresh basil (optional)
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme 
* I am a big oregano fan. Oregano upgrades any italian dish from pizza to pasta.

Directions

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a heavy saucepan.
2. Saute garlic to bring out flavour for 5 minutes.

3. Stir in tomatoes and bring to boil; Add fresh herbs.

4. Reduce heat and simmer for 4-50 minutes, until the watery diced tomato becomes no longer watery. 


5. Add Italian seasoning and oregano, and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.

6. You can either use as it is, or blend it, if you want.

Actually active time is only 10 minutes or less.  It tastes simple, but great.

Enjoy!

Homemade Tomato Sauce

0 comments:

Post a Comment