Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2013

[French Onion Dip] Amazing Savoury Dip for Veggies and Chips

My kids never have had a problem eating vegetables. They love all kinds of vegetables.
The only vegetable they are not so crazy about would be eggplant, which I totally understand. Their time will come. I didn't like eggplant until I tasted various eggplant dishes in Turkey in 2001. So it has been only 12 years or so I fell in love with eggplant. Both Remi and Pablo love bell pepper, celery and carrots for their school snack. I've never forced them to eat veggies. 

They've munched veggies since they were mere toddlers. That's why I didn't understand parents who were worried about their young ones who refused to eat vegetables. On the other hand, my kids don't hardly crave meats. They eat, for sure, but never asks for meat, in particular. Both my kids are like that since they were younger. Maybe that is why we don't consume as much  meat as I want... My kids enjoy vegetables with or without dip, but they eat much more when they have some yummy dip. You can enjoy a piece of yellow bell pepper by itself, but you will savour 10 pieces of crunchy bell pepper with this French onion dip. This French onion dip is my thing. 

I can finish a big platter of veggies if I have a nice bowl of this French onion dip. And I'm not even joking! Of course, this creamy dip is wonderful with chips as well, but chips are not an item we carry in our household. Kids love to, but that is exactly why we don't. :)

This dip is just so easy to make, but very very promising.

Here goes the recipe.
(adapted from AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 big or 2 medium size onion(s)
 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
 1 cup sour cream
 1 cup mayonnaise
 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper (either black or white)
 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional) - only if you have a savoury/salty palate



Directions

1. Chop onion(s)

2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. 

3. Cook and stir until the onions are caramelized to a nice golden brown, about 15 minutes. 

4. Remove the onions from the heat and cool.

5. Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder,  pepper, (and remaining kosher salt)

6. Stir in the onions when they are cool. 

7. Cover and refrigerate the dip before serving.

Enjoy! Believe me. You will be surprised by the amount of vegetables you can actually eat :)


French Onion Dip

0 comments:

Post a Comment