Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

[Easy Homemade Garlic Bread] A perfect accompaniment to chili

Morning temperature has fallen below zero since more than a week ago.
We had flurries a few times already. Yes, it's winter here.

When it gets colder,
I tend to make stew and soup more often. Probably that wouldn't be only me. Your body and palate seek hearty food in fall and winter, don't they? :)


To accompany a bowl of soup or chili, I want to add some type of carbohydrate.
It can be potato, pasta or bread. I like all, but bread would be my favorite of all time.

I like to make a big garlic bread like IKEA restaurant's, but  I didn't find a good bread yet. 

In the meanwhile, I use a normal french style baguette for an alternate.


This garlic bread is good as an appetizer or a simple accompaniment to stew/soup.
Colleen's Chili recipehttp://heavenlypalate.blogspot.ca/2012/03/cincinnati-chili-unique-cheesy-chili.html
Colleen's Polish pickle souphttp://heavenlypalate.blogspot.ca/2011/11/ogorkowa-polish-pickle-soup-perfectly.html
Colleen's Italian wedding soup recipehttp://heavenlypalate.blogspot.ca/2011/12/italian-wedding-soup-or-minestra.html
Colleen's Beef barley soup recipehttp://heavenlypalate.blogspot.ca/2012/01/beef-barley-soup-hearty-winter-soup.html
I found a great garlic bread recipe a couple of years ago and I've been using it ever since.
This recipe is adapted and adjusted from AllRecipes.com
All the recipes I post are tested at least 4-5 times beforehand.

Here goes the recipe for the simple garlic bread:


Ingredients

1/2 (1 pound) loaf French baguette
3 tablespoons butter, softened
 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
 1 + 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
 1 teaspoon dried oregano *
(*As oregano is my favorite herb, I use 1 teaspoon, but if you are not a big fan, 1/2 teaspoon oregano would work too)
 salt and pepper to taste
 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Preheat the broiler and position the rack at the bottom third of the oven.


2. Cut the bread into slices 1 inch thick.


3. In a small bowl, mix butter, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. 



Shred mozzarella if you have only block cheese like me.


4. Spread the mixture on the bread slices.



5. On a baking sheet, arrange the slices evenly and broil 2 minutes at , or until slightly brown. Don't forget  to check frequently as they brown so quickly.


6. Remove from broiler. Top with cheese and return to broiler 1 to 2 minutes, 


until cheese is slightly brown and melted. 
Serve hot.


Aren't they easy?
 A quick addition of mozzarella makes this garlic bread even more scrumptious. 
Try this. You will love it.



Easy Garlic Bread



2 comments:

  1. Do you have any other recipes about chili except Cincinnati one? I'd like to "eat" chili but I've never cooked it before, so it's time to learn chili recipe! anyway, this "easy garlic bread" also perfect matched with pasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy, I actually have my signature chili recipe I'd like to share. The thing is that I don't make it often since it's a little spicy for kids. When I make next time, I'll post the recipe.
      Garlic bread goes very well with all kinds of soups, too. Enjoy! :)

      Delete