Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2012

[German Red Cabbage Casserole] Perfect side dish for Turkey dinner

This is an absolutely-must recipe for my holiday dinner/lunch.
The colour of the red cabbage is quite appealing. It is a perfect match not only with turkey, but also with pork or ham. It's light, healthy, refreshing as well as mouth watering.
Red cabbage casserole recipes seem similar to each other. But, I think mine is quite authentic since I got this recipe from a German friend. Her family is originally from East Germany, so I guess this recipe is origined from East Germany. :)
The original German name of this dish is  Klassischer Apfelrotkohl (English: Classic Red Cabbage).
If I have some leftover after holidays, I snack a bowl of this red cabbage casserole :) Try it cold. It's also very good :)
Oh, if you also want two make-ahead side dish recipes, see here:
I usually make this casserole while my turkey or ham is roasted so that I can serve it warm. Well, one of the reasons I make it just an hour before the holiday meal is that my stovetop is never too busy compared to my oven. So! I have enough space and time to spare for the red cabbage casserole. But, you can make it a day before and reheat it for ten minutes before you serve.
It's very easy to make.
Here goes the recipe.
Ingredients
1 medium red cabbage
2 medium tart apples
1 medium onion
1 + 1/2 Cup water
1 Cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 Cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
6 black peppercorns
2 whole allspices
2 cloves
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons cold water
1 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions
1. Remove the core and cut red cabbage in thin strips or shred it.
2. Halve, core, and thinly slice apples.
3. Put the spices and bay leaf in cheesecloth.
As I didn't have cheesecloth, I empty a teabag, to put spices in the teabag and tie it with string.
4. In a Dutch oven, combine red cabbage, apple, and onion.
Then pour water, vinegar, and butter, and salt. Throw the spice bag into the dutch oven.
The dutch oven must be almost full. But, don't worry, as it cooks, the volume shrinks to half.
5. Cover and simmer over low-medium heat for about 60 mninutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
6. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water.
Remove the dutch oven from the heat, and pour the cornstarch mixture and mix well.
Return the casserole over the medium heat and simmer it for another 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid becomes thicker. (There are not too much liquid anyway.)
Adjust seasonings.
Serve hot or warm.
Active time is less than 15 minutes including chopping time :)
It's really good.
I sometimes roast pork or ham, to eat this red cabbage casserole. :)
Hope you like it, too.
Klassischer Apfelrotkohl


0 comments:

Post a Comment