Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

[Round lasagna] The easiest cheese lasagna baked in a cast-iron skillet (*updated)

I think I wrote it more than once,
but let me repeat this once more and all. :)
I love lasagna and it is my favorite food in the whole world!

Foretunately, all my three guys love lasagna too, maybe not as much as I do though.
But, they never say no~ to my homemade lasagna.
I make lasagna with all kinds of different ingredients,
meat, sausage, eggplant, zucchini and cheese~


You might  already know by now that I don't cook lasagna noodles before I bake them.
I use dry pasta right away, but with more sauce than normal, which helps pasta to be cooked easily.
Without pasta cooking, lasagna becomes an easy dish to make.


However, here is an even easier version of lasagna.
I'd dare to say that this is the most handy lasagna recipe you would find.
You can make it in a weekday, when you just came back from work.

I always make tomato sauce, using two diced tomato cans at a time, but you are welcome to use a store-bought tomato sauce.
I know I promised I'd post a homemade tomato sauce recipe and didn't do it so far.
I promise once more. I'll do it soon.

Here goes the recipe:
(This is adapted and modified from Three-cheese Skillet lasagna)
   


Ingredients
(4 servings)
2 cups tomato sauce (homemade or store bought)
 Coarse salt and ground pepper
 1 large egg yolk
 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
 2/3 box lasagna noodles
 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, shredded
 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese


How to make:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Break up lasagna noodles to medium size, to suit to a round cast-iron skillet.

 
Grate mozzarella and parmesan.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together egg yolk, cottage cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.

4. Pour 1/2 - 3/4 cup of tomato sauce to skillet and spread sauce evenly.

5. Add a single layer of noodles. Breaking up to fit, if needed.
Never overlap noodles.

6. Top with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and half the cottage cheese mixture, spreading evenly.

7. Follow with a second layer of noodles, then 1/2 cups tomato sauce, and then remaining cottage cheese mixture.

8. Add a third layer of noodles, then  remaining 1/2-3/4 cups tomato sauce.

 
9. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan over top.

10. Bake lasagna until golden and bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes.
I broil the lasagna for the last 2 minutes.

Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Oh, there is a cons about this skillet lasagna:
This is just the right size lasagna for 4 servings.
Nothing left for the following day's leftover lasagna lunch~ :(

But, it's really yummy and easy.


Enjoy!


Easy Cheese Lasagna


4 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm Hyoni. Now I can eat lasagna in my cupboard!I'm crazy about lasagna. When I go out with my friends, I always try lasagna. But, at home, well... I couldn't find easy way to make it. I like cooking but I'm not a good cook, honestly. Your recipe saves me! Thank you so much colleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hyoni,
      glad to hear that I am not the only person who is crazy about lasagna ;)
      I can tell you that this would be one of the easiest, if not "the" easiest, lasagna recipes you can find!
      Practice makes perfection. ;)
      Have a wonderful Sunday.

      Delete
  2. Where did you use the olive oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheri,
      oh, that olive oil was only to be used for making homemade tomato sauce. Sorry for the confusion. Here is my easy tomato sauce recipe: http://heavenlypalate.blogspot.ca/2013/04/easy-tomato-sauce-homemade-versatile.html

      Delete