Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

[Poutine] Simply Canadian staple food: fries with cheese curds and gravy

I would say Poutine is second to any other food in "Canadian" dish category :)

Poutine originated from rural Québec province in 1950s. There are a few towns claiming to be the "birth place" of Poutine in Québec.

Poutine is eaten across Canada. Poutine is a very staple menu in any small to large restaurants, including international fast food chains. You can eat poutine even at Costco in Canada.

A very standard poutine would be french fries topped with fresh cheese curds, and covered with beef gravy.


Cheese curds are a main and essential ingredient in Poutine.

Cheese curds are the solid parts of so it was made.with soured milk either alone, and are good to be eaten on the same day.

I order poutine when I go to diners or at Costco,
but I buy fresh cheese curd to make my own poutine at home.

Home made gravy is really easy and quick to make:

Here goes my version of Canadian staple food: Poutine!
The only thing I don't follow in the poutine rule is that I don't fry french fries.
I bake the in the oven. :)
  

Poutine

Ingredients
4 servings french fries
1 + 1/2 cups Cheese curds

1+1/2 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
salt
pepper


How to make:

1. Preheat the oven to 450F or get oil heated to fry french fries.
Then, cook them in the oven according to the instructions on the back of the fries bag.

2. Heat butter or over medium high heat. Add flour whisking vigorously. When mixture bubbles, reduce heat to low and cut back on the whisking.

Cook over low heat stirring for 1 - 2minutes, until the mixture thins and starts to bubble.

3. Whisk in beef broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce has thickened.


Season with pepper, and salt if needed.
Isn't this so easy?


By this time, your fries must be ready.

Place the fries on a serving plate or on  an indivicual plate or  a bowl,
and sprinkle the cheese curds over fries. You can top cheese curds . 

Pour gravy over the fries and cheese curd. Cheese curd have been metling.
Serve immediately.
You may use mozzarella cheese as substitute. But, it is never the same. Hope you can find cheese curds in your local markets.

 
Enjoy :)

 

Poutine

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for recipe of poutine ^^ Cuz I've got a cheese curd from ma canadian friend. (I don't know How does she could bring them to KOREA) And I realized that it's Mrs's Colleen's blog :) Actually I was big fand of your old blog :) And I think I'll become your new blog's fan. - Sorry for ma broken ENG;; I felt like I should use English becuz it's Eng based blog ^^;;

    ReplyDelete