Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2012

[Cherry-Almond Florentines] Luscious Italian biscuits

Florentine is a type of italian biscuit made with nuts and candied fruits, especially dry cherries.

Once it is baked, it is to be coated with dark chocolate.

I find any food inspired by Italian touch is wonderful. Don't you agree?

This recipe has been adapted from Chatelaine magazine.
This recipe caught my eyes about a month ago while I was waiting my turn at mechanics.
I've always liked florentine, but never made it myself.
As florentine has such a fruity, delectable, and warm flavour, it is perfect treats for winter.
You can taste undeniable affinity bewteen cherries and almond, for each other. :)
 The only reason I was relutant to make was because of Pablo who is allergic to peanuts and allya the tree nuts including almonds.
I promised him I'd make some other nut-free cookies and he seemed okay with it. Well, he is not a big fan of dried fruits. That could be why he was okay not being allowed to taste it.
I made it already three times, and each time it was so good. :)
You should try it too.
Here goes the recipe for "Cherry-Almond Florentines"
Cherry-Almond Florentines
  
Ingredients

1/2 cup 35% cream
1/2 cup granulated butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Zest from 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup silvered almoned, chopped
(To make it easy, I used sliced almonds already)
1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
2 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger
 1 Cup dark chocolate chips


How to make:

1. Preheat oven to 325F (165C).
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Zest an orange, chop candied ginger, dry cherries and almond.

3. Add cream, sugar and butter to a medium saucepan and set over medium.

    Bring to simmer, whisking frequently, then remove from heat.

4. Whisk in flour, orange zest, salt and vanilla until smooth.
Stir in almonds, cherries and ginger.
Oops I mixed everything at the same time when I took this photo. :(
It turned out okay though. But, still I recommend to take separate steps.

5.  Drop 1 tablespoon each, on 1 baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart.
Cookies will spread as they bake.

6. bake in centre of oven until edges are golden and centres are bubbly, 10-11 minutes.

7. Cool cookies on sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.

 
8. Melt chocolate on stovetop or in microwave. I do it by the latter.

and drizzle or dip colled cookies.

Dipping takes a couple of seconds while drizzling takes at least 30-60 seconds per biscuit.


I enjoy both drizzling and dipping. They are fun.

In winter, you can either dry chocolates in open air or, if you want, refrigerate cookies until chocolate is firm, about 10 minutes.

    Store in an airtight container up to 5 days or freeze up to 1 month, if there's any left.
But, usually they go really fast.

Like most cookies, florentine is easy to make.
Enjoy!


Cherry-Almond Florentines


0 comments:

Post a Comment