Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

[Pyzy] Toothsome Polish potato dumplings

 
A polish friend of mine brought this potato dumplings to a farewell potluck prepared by a group of friends. 





When I first saw it, I knew that I'd love this dumpling even before I tasted it for the first time. 





This recipe became one of my favorite recipes. 
Everybody in my household love it too!





Ingredients
2 + 1/2 lbs peeled potato
6 tablespoons flour
3 eggs
4 oz. ground pork (or beef) cooked
1 onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
salt and pepper
For sauce:
1 onion chopped
4 oz. of bacon chopped
pepper


Yield: serves 8


Directions





1. Cook Half of the potatoes, cool, and mash or grate potato with a grater/ food mill. 








2. Grate the rest of the raw potatoes finely. 





Drain grated raw potatoes and place them in a tea towel, 





and twist and squeeze the tea towel to drain all the water out of the potatoes. 



Notes: 
Grated raw potato turn pink quickly. But nothing to worry. Once the tea towel is squeezed, only creamy color will be back!






3. Mix with cooked potatoes. 





4. Add flour, two eggs and a pinch of salt, and knead the dough.





Dough is ready!





5. Fry chopped onions in butter, and cook with meat. 





Add the breadcrumbs and egg. Season to taste. 





Now stuffing is ready!





Roll out a size of walnut dough to form a pancake. 





Lay a teaspoon of meat stuffing on the dough before puckering it 





and roll the dough into balls. 





Now these stuffed potato balls are ready to swim in the boiling water.





Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and drop in the dumplings. 
Cook a few minutes until dumplings float to the top.





You can take out pyzy easily with a slotted spoon or a sieve.





Put the cooked potato dumplings aside.





Meanwhile, in a skillet, 
fry chopped bacon with chopped onions until golden brown. 





Toss with cooked dumplings and serve. 



You can use any kind of meat~



This was Pablo's plate.
As I wrote above, both boys love these potato dumpling balls.


It's a perfect item for a potluck party too.


Bon appétit!

Polish Potato Dumplings - Pyzy

17 comments:

  1. Oh my...these look yummy! I'll be putting them on my list of things to try...thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I want to try these..my guys would love this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish you had a printable version on here

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the meat is cooked and the ingredients are the same as for meatballs, I just might try wrapping the dough around my baked meatballs to see how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dish will be tastier if you add some garlic, marjoram and parsley to the filling. Also: can be served with some butter only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many of the potatoes did you use, only the 4 in the picture?
    I dont have a scale.
    Tried your recipe but it did not turn into dough like the one you show in your hand, it was mostly soft mashed/gratede potatoes that fell apart when I tried to put filling inside. I added flour and the balls turned too hard.
    Thanks
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best dough is light and rolled out thinner. Flour hot water pinch of salt..let it sit covered with damp t-towel for 1 hour. It dry out fast so cover when not using it.

      Delete
  7. I also make them with mushroom stuffing. We usually use wild mushrooms back n Poland but any store bought ones would do just fine.Just chop your mushrooms, fry them with onions and garlic and add any spices you like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pyzy!! You should add chopped parsley and some garlic and perhaps a little marjoram to the meat mixture. Serve pyzy also with sour cream. Ok. Thats the way My Polish family serves this and the pyzy are bigger than shown here. The recipe is otherwise the same as My families. Its one of My favourites!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the raw potatos should be pulverized, not just
    regular grater. Can do that in food processor with the regular blade, or if
    you have a juicer, put them through ii and you will get
    them crushed and water extracted the same time. No need to sqeeze in a towel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so much like Palt, a family favourite my Swedish Granny would make. I definately will be making this.

    ReplyDelete