There are varieties of pierogies.
I believe two fillings, potato & cheese & onion fillings
and sauerkraut & mushroom fillings are the two most popular ones.
while Mr. D and I love sauerkraut & mushroom pierogies.
I post potato & cheese pierogies today,
but I'll post sauerkraut & mushroom pierogi recipe in a near future.
Any of my polish colleagues didn't give me their pierogi recipes,:(
I adapted the pierogi dough recipe from TastingPoland.com.
as pierogi is a polish word, I consider it as a polish food.
Making pierogi takes time,
but it's not as bad as you think.
Here goes the recipe for pierogies :)
3 cups of the all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of boiling water
1/4 cup of cold water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil
150 g cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons of butter
How to make:
1. Sift flour through a sieve to make the dough more plump and softer.
2. Pour 3/4 cup of boiling water while quickly stirring with the fork.
3. Cover the bowl with the cotton cloth and put aside for five minutes.
4. Pour a 1/4 cup of cold water, mash dough with the fork
5. and cover the bowl with a tea towl.
Put pierogi dough aside for 15 minutes.
add half a teaspoon of oil
and knead the dough until it's smooth, or for 10 minutes.
I kneaded with a stand mixer. But, of course, you don't need to! :)
6. Roll it up to a log on the table or pastry board.
You can roll and flatten the dough,
but I found my method is easier and not wasting any dough leftover.
7. Cut into about 5 mm disk and roll it out until the thickness of 2-3 mm.
By this time, start to boil a pot of water.
8. Place a teaspoonful of filling in the middle of each dough round.
(See below for the potato filling recipe)
Then, fold each pierogi to make the shape of semi-circle.
9. Press the edges with the tines of the fork.
10. Boil the perogies in a large pot of water. Don't overcrowd the pot.
They are done when they float to the top (about 4-6 minutes).
Rinse in cool water and let dry.
11. Saute chopped onions in butter in a large pan until onions are soft.
Then add pierogies and pan fry until lightly crispy.
Serve warm, with sour cream if you want.
Potato & cheddar cheese filling
1. Peel and boil potatoes until soft.
2. Meanwhile, chop an onion finely and saute in butter.
3. Mash the cooked potatoes with the sauted onions
and grated cheddar cheese.
Season with salt.
Now the potato & cheese filling is ready to be used!
It's not difficult at all, is it?
I love pierogies.
Hope you enjoy the recipe :)
Potato & Cheese Pierogies