Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

[Pierogies] Potato & cheese pierogies

There are varieties of pierogies.
However, 
I believe two fillings, potato & cheese & onion fillings 
and sauerkraut & mushroom fillings are the two most popular ones.
Remi and Pablo love potato & cheese pierogies
while Mr. D and I love sauerkraut & mushroom pierogies.
I post potato & cheese pierogies today,
but I'll post sauerkraut & mushroom pierogi recipe in a near future.
Any of my polish colleagues didn't give me their pierogi recipes,:(
I adapted the pierogi dough recipe from TastingPoland.com.
 There are a few countires that claim pierogi as their traditional dish.
However,
as pierogi is a polish word, I consider it as a polish food.
Making pierogi takes time,
but it's not as bad as you think.

Here goes the recipe for pierogies :)

Ingredients:
For dough

3 cups of the all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of boiling water
1/4 cup of cold water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil

For filling

3-4 potatoes
150 g cheddar cheese
1 onion
salt
3 tablespoons of butter

How to make:
1. Sift flour through a sieve to make the dough more plump and softer.
2. Pour 3/4 cup of boiling water while quickly stirring with the fork.
3. Cover the bowl with the cotton cloth and put aside for five minutes.

4. Pour a 1/4 cup of cold water, mash dough with the fork  
5.  and cover the bowl with a tea towl.
Put pierogi dough aside for 15 minutes.

add half a teaspoon of oil 

and knead the dough until it's smooth, or for 10 minutes.
I kneaded with a stand mixer. But, of course, you don't need to! :)

6. Roll it up to a log on the table or pastry board.
You can roll and flatten the dough,
but I found my method is easier and not wasting any dough leftover.

7. Cut into about 5 mm disk and roll it out until the thickness of 2-3 mm.
By this time, start to boil a pot of water.


8. Place a teaspoonful of filling in the middle of each dough round.
(See below for the potato filling recipe)

Then, fold each pierogi to make the shape of semi-circle.
9. Press the edges with the tines of the fork.
10. Boil the perogies in a large pot of water. Don't overcrowd the pot.

They are done when they float to the top (about 4-6 minutes). 
Rinse in cool water and let dry.

11. Saute chopped onions in butter in a large pan until onions are soft.

 Then add pierogies and pan fry until lightly crispy. 
 
Serve warm, with sour cream if you want.

Potato & cheddar cheese filling
1. Peel and boil potatoes until soft.

2. Meanwhile, chop an onion finely and saute in butter.
until translucent.

3. Mash the cooked potatoes with the sauted onions

and grated cheddar cheese.

Season with salt.
Now the potato & cheese filling is ready to be used!

It's not difficult at all, is it?

I love pierogies.
Hope you enjoy the recipe :)


Potato & Cheese Pierogies


4 comments:

  1. Congrats on opening the blog. I like the name of Remi and Pablo. The name Pablo really fits to kkoma. Bless your new voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Hope this blog be a good record what the boys & their kids can look back in the future~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made dumpling yesterday^^V. Unfornately, I havent got enough plain flour so I decided to be experimental~~mixed self-raising and plain for dumpling! Mainly, self-raising flour:p Am I cheeky or lazy? It was reeeally tough to make the flour mixture get flatten even with a rolling pin. I made just 5pieces of dumplings for the taste. It looked alright before they were boiled:) I was very nervous when I dropped dumplings into boiling water. They took some time to float up. Sadly, they looked like puffy pastry pie:( Can you believe that? Finally, I bought dumpling skin from chinese grocery shop. Anyway,dumpling was so delicious and have got chinese smell. I still don't know why. Just put armagnac instead of whisky into the filling and didn't put any of chinese seasonnng. I will make perogies skin with your recipe.Getting ambitious HAHA! Please, give fingers cross to me:) By the way, I made tofu lassana, oat cookies and apple& carrot muffin with your recipes today. I have to adjusted some of ingredients by myself because I don't want to go supermaket every day. Will report that soon

    ReplyDelete